Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Creating compact discs

Figuratively speaking.  

The best gifts are those straight from the heart.  And what better way to show your hearts desires, or your opinions as to your friends hearts desires, than to make them a CD.  Drawn on by you, selection chosen purposefully by you, and tucked into a tidy little case, packaged with saved magazine cut outs; artsy and crafty.  This is probably a favourite past time of mine, from when mixed tapes were the thing.  Before cassettes, I don't know how people traded music if it wasn't for an entire album.  We were never able to mix records, whatever the width and length that might have been, and eight tracks, try and find me a machine that could record a mixed track on that huge piece of plastic.

My first mixed tape, I don't even remember.  It was most likely a "borrowed" classic from the '80's, one from either of the eldest sisters.  Vividly I recall the feeling upon receiving one of these tokens of friendship.  Describing it as heartfelt journey into a certain unknown, the only words that come to mind, is the best I can do.  A tingling sensation at the core.  Or is that this morning's caffeine?

Compact discs are too easy to create.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  Music in multitude suits me just fine.  And with the making of iPods, I remain in complete harmony (no pun intended) with the state of ease in which to create playlists.  A few songs here, a new artist there, click and drag (this would most likely be the name of my own first album);  my heart's great desire.

So I will continue to put songs together into albums that suit each individual as I know them, and I will be forever content to continue to receive mixed albums from those who choose to label them with my name, the intended giftee.

No comments: